- At its February 15, 2017 meeting, the Senate approved a Resolution Concerning the Executive Order on Immigration.
- The Senate has begun revising the Senate Constitution.
The Faculty Senate approved the following resolution during the "Open Forum" on December 14, 2016:
In accordance with Georgetown University's Code of Conduct, enacted in 1999, (https://publicaffairs.georgetown.edu/loc/code-of-conduct), the Faculty Senate reiterates the position that Georgetown University shall not license our University's name to any corporation that refuses to abide by the GU Code of Conduct. Pursuant to article II of the Code, the Senate recognizes no exceptions to this rule: "The following Code of Conduct shall apply to all licensees of Georgetown University." The Senate urges the President to enforce our Code of Conduct rules in all future licensing contracts.
- Proposed Revision to the Consensual Sexual Relations Policy
- Senate Statement on Mount St. Mary's Dismissal of Faculty
The following statement was approved by the Georgetown University Faculty Senate by a unanimous vote on February 16, 2016.
The Georgetown University Faculty Senate joins the faculty of Mount St. Mary’s in condemning the summary dismissal of two faculty members, one tenured, for alleged “disloyalty.” Academic freedom is at the very heart of a university. It includes the freedom to express disagreement with the president and other administrators over the policies of the institution. Academic freedom is protected by the institution of tenure, which entails a mutually acknowledged expectation of continuing employment that is terminable by the university only for just cause and after due process. While the subsequent reinstatement of the two faculty members is a step in the right direction, the fact that summary dismissal would even be contemplated in a university and executed without due process is cause for grave concern.
In addition to its general concern for the health and well-being of universities across the nation and world, the Georgetown University Faculty Senate is especially disturbed by the disrespectful treatment of one of our university’s own students, Associate Professor Thane Naberhaus (Ph.D. ‘04).
Proposed new Constitution for the Graduate School (Approved by the Graduate School Executive Committee on 01-08-16; Endorsed by the Faculty Senate on 01-14-16; Approved by tenure-line faculty plebiscite on 01-20-16)
The current constitution can be found here.
A summary and explanation of the proposed revisions can be found here.
Proposals Approved or Discussed in Fall 2015:
Proposals Approved or Discussed in 2014-15
Approved by the Faculty Senate on May 13, 2015 after Consultation with the University Committee on Rank and Tenure
- A copy of the 02-03-15 draft of the revisions with comments from recently tenured some Main Campus Faculty.
- Master Planning Update (Robin Morey)
- Revised FMLA Policy
- Overview of Revisions to FMLA Policy
- Overview of Proposed Revisions to the Faculty Handbook Benefits and Leave Sections
The Revised FMLA Policy and revisions of the Benefits and Leave Sections of the Faculty Handbook were approved by the Senate and the Board of Directors in February.
- Proposed Combined and Revised Guidelines for Submission of Rank and Tenure Applications (December 10, 2014)
The 2014 Proposal is intended to combine and replace the 1992 Guidelines and 2012 Memo that were on the UCRT website in 2014. The 1992 guidelines are out of date in many ways, and their deficiencies led to the 2012 memo as a corrective.
- 1992 Guidelines for Submission of Rank and Tenure Applications
- 2012 Memo on the Preparation of Tenure Applications.
Proposed Faculty Handbook Policy on the Confidentiality of the Rank and Tenure Process (Approved by the Senate on November 13, 2014).
Proposals Discussed in 2013-14
- Guiding Principles for the Non-Tenureline Faculty Framework (Approved by the Board of Directors in June 2014)
- Voluntary Phased Retirement Benefit and Buyout Plan (Approved by the Board of Directors in June 2014)
- Non-Tenureline Faculty Framework Proposal 04-18-14
- Revised Phased Retirement and Buyout Plans 04-16-14
- Cover Letter to Faculty on Retirement Plans
- Special Voluntary Early Retirement Program
- Voluntary Phased Retirement Program
- Redline Policy Statement on Harassment 12.09.13
- GU Policy Statement on Sexual Misconduct 12.09.13
- Redline -- IDEAA Grievance Procedures 12.09.13
- Approved Minor Faculty Handbook Revisions.
- Approved Faculty Handbook Policy on Teaching Relatives.
- Approved Revision to Faculty Appointments, plus Cover Sheet.
- Approved Revision to Emeritus Policy, plus Cover Sheet.
- Has Georgetown followed national trends in increasing the size of its staff and administration relative to students and faculty? See: Staff Analysis.